Weighing and tracking every ounce of food, although laborious... it's true that it does work. If you want to manipulate your weight to the decimal, and view your food as a daily algorithm... then YES, it works... very well. I mean it's numbers. If you refocus the energy towards planning your entire day using the same methodology as counting macros then OH YOU'LL SEE RESULTS.. and it won't just be calorie, fats, and carbs oriented... as cool as I'm sure that sounds.

Name:  macros.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  135.3 KB

For many, IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros: Basically a rule stating you can eat whatever you want as long as it falls within a magical set of numbers) becomes a source of stress and anxiety over time. A diet is not ‘flexible’ if you fear eating out or it disrupts natural social engagements because you need to ponder how many grams of chicken to plate, or don’t want to risk your salad coming with dressing... that would be a re-configuring nightmare.

Intuitive eating. Which is simply using common sense and reasoning towards your eating habits. Notice I did not say diet, but EATING HABITS. It's completely possible to be in shape AND manage your weight without tracking calories strictly. Like any transition it takes an adjustment period of learning how listen to the signals your body is giving you again.

One major downside I've seen with people using the Macro system are sporadic periods of binge eating. This is usually done in response to an over calculation, block consumption periods, or makeup feeding. The Macro system doesn't take into account the basic processes of the human body and the mechanics that makes each of us unique. We are born with a natural instinct of differentiating wants and needs, good and bad.. and knowing foods and feeding required for survival, between those that are sought for pleasure. You are no longer exercising natural active instincts.. and if you're anything like me, I believe in keeping the neurons firing. Another fact to mention is many of the foods we eat are overly processed, even those appearing organic in nature, the numbers given through macros are assumed measurements. A better way to gauge and measure your body is maintain a consistent diet/flow of eating, weekly visualization and noting the physical and mental changes, to adjust accordingly. Once a consistency is maintained it's much easier to be flexible in additional eating options without stressing over how it will affect your food statistics.

Name:  best-calorie-counters-8-1504625570-s2QX-column-width-inline.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  42.1 KB

Learn to meal prep, and/or simply prepare foods at home. Wonderful items of convenience were invented to help feeders control portion. They are called utensils, measuring cups.. etc. If I'm maintaining consistency in my diet, and see a change is needed based on gain/loss ratio, it's as simple as adjusting measurements. The bodies needs change daily, using a macro system often restricts those needs due to not falling within the parameters provided, again.. this is where periods of impulse eating occurs.

Some foods regardless of content make individuals bloat, while others breakdown faster, the macros of a particular food item are not the end-all understanding how it effects the human body, yet using this method doesn't take into consideration those small changes that impacts your overall results.
Name:  bloating_food_img1.png
Views: 14
Size:  86.1 KB

With Intuitive eating, you not only provide your body with a natural foundation for evolving, but the mental benefits far outweigh a standardized system of stats. Because it's using its own system for development and decision making. With each new victory you gain both the physical AND mental strength! making future choices much easier.

Name:  Screen shot 2017-12-29 at 4.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  315.0 KB
For many people, tracking macros isn't to portion ration like many believe, but to evade from the additional items people consume between meals. 80% of people eat the same meals in cycle throughout the week, particularly due to location and availability. It's the urges most are attempting to surpress. Tracking Macros provides accountability and reasoning to resist. My issue with it is that it's using the same form of willpower you should be naturally using, only adding additional functions that makes it unnatural to sustain over a long period of time. Tracking Macros is great for stage competitors, professional bodybuilders, models, actors... basically projects where a precision look is required "for a moment in time" - @TheRippedEffect

Name:  o-SAD-WOMAN-BAD-FOOD-facebook.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  148.0 KB

Here are the steps I would recommend to transition to intuitive eating. Depending on your own experience, you might fly through these steps in a matter of days, or it might take a year. Go at your own pace! The end reward will be AMAZING.

1. Track at the end of the day.
Name:  food-journal-food-diary-1280x300-1170x274.jpg
Size:  23.5 KB
Instead of planning your food before or during the day, eat as usual (as stated, most people continue eating the same cycle of meals anyway) and then plug them into MFP at the end of the day. Perhaps you naturally over eat on protein, or don’t get enough calories in. Make a mental note to change that the next day, it should not require complex over-rationalization on how you need to feed yourself.

2. Take a day or weekends off.
Name:  summer.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  76.4 KB

This is not an opportunity to binge or have a ‘cheat day’, just an experiment to see how well you progress eating without logging macros the entire day. Be mindful of all your eating decisions. Are you still hungry after meals? Are you hungry prior to this meal? is it a crave? Do you feel uncomfortable pouring food into a bowl and eyeballing it?

3. Start tracking ONLY protein and calories on the days you do track.

In the grand scheme of things, fat to carb ratio will have no crazy effect on your body composition and how you feel. Some days, you might be craving peanut butter and avocado like crazy, others you might want to eat rice with every meal.

4. Delete MFP.

Name:  en_device_android-e2a743ef3a6bcc63c1383024feba6686.png
Size:  42.0 KB
By this point, you’re probably so used to tracking you can look at a plate of meat and potatoes and know more or less how much protein and calories are in it. If you want to tally things up in your mind throughout the day, that’s fine, but don’t be chained to an app.

P.S., Learn how to remain a little hungry. Eat to comfort. If you're not planning on stepping on a stage, or preparing for an awesome fitness shoot, MACROS should be the least of your worries (even then this method is not the first preferred), but if you do use it... these are situations where they are best effective without the long term stress many people encounter.

Why do Professionals use the Macro System?
When looking at it from a performance perspective, counting Calories alone doesn't provide the extensive breakdown that the Macro system offers. As I stated before, the most accurate way is intuitive eating, and reviewing how your body responds. The Macro system makes it appear faster by providing a base to work off of (example below). Even still, portion changes and adjustments are required for each individual as these numbers should only be used as a reference, not a specific target.

Name:  Pie-Charts-1024x369.png
Size:  35.1 KB